About Me

My photo
This blog is dedicated to toy stories from my childhood and anecdotes relating to my current toy collection and toy purchasing habits. As my late grand pa used to repeatedly tell me in Cantonese, "All Law Lop Sop." (It's all garbage).

Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Loyal Subjects Transformers and G.I.Joe Vinyl Figures

The Loyal Subjects Transformers Wave 1
Launched around late June 2013, The Loyal Subjects vinyl Transformers figure line burst on to the collectible  vinyl scene like a super nova but somehow didn't really make a huge mark in the Transformers toy collector world. Initially I wasn't a fan. I admit I was pretty biased toward Transformer merchandise that didn't transform. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a toy line titled "Transformers." Reading the online comments was a litany of negative opinions ranging from too cartoony, too expensive, and the randomness of the blind box release left the main focus group of the figure series in the lurch. Transformers collectors just weren't excited.



The Loyal Subjects 8-inch Dead Prime
Despite this, I thought the designs were rather clean. It so happened that my buddy Shanti picked up 3 figures on his break during Botcon and he brought them back to our booth. We opened 2 of them and saved the third for his girlfriend to open. It turns out I got Optimus Prime and he got Soundwave. Knowing that he collects Optimus Prime figures we traded and that's how I got my first The Loyal Subjects figure.

Coming back from Botcon 2013, I didn't think much about Soundwave. He was on my table. Then I moved him to my desk. I picked him up and played with him a bit. Having very limited articulation and being 3-inches tall, there isn't much you can do with these figures. But still, he was cool. The super deformed art style was cute and the fact that he came with a weapons was a plus.

BAIT exclusive 8-inch Bullet Prime
It wasn't until several weeks later at San Diego Comic-con that Shanti asked me to visit The Loyal Subjects booth and pick up their exclusive 8-inch Dead Prime figure. I put it on the list of things to get in line to pick up. After researching the release time at the Loyal Subjects booth, I came to discover they had a horde of SDCC exclusive figures at multiple retailers. In addition to the 8-inch Dead Prime, there was the BAIT 8-inch Bullet Prime, Toy Tokyo 3-inch Sunstorm, and The Loyal Subjects had 3-inch Cybertron Megatron, 3-inch 2 pack Radioactive Snake Eyes and Camouflage Storm Shadow, and 2 pack Iron Grenadier Destro and Gold Cobra Commander. Additionally, they would have the new G.I.Joe wave 1 line for sale. Holy crap.

Exclusive Iron Grenadier Destro and
Gold Cobra Commander
I was already tasked to pick up Dead Prime for Shanti and I also planned on picking up the Bullet Pirme from BAIT's booth since one of my coworkers knew them and was going to head over there to pick up some stuff for himself. After the first day, I walked the floor with our management team and we ended up passing by The Loyal Subjects booth. I headed over to talk to them to ask when the Dead Prime would be released and when should I come over to stand in line. Since I was there I picked up 6 blind box figures (3 Transformer, 3 G.I.Joe) and their exclusive 3-inch Cybertron Megatron to show a little support.

I was pleasantly surprised by the selection of figures I got from the blind box. In my opinion they are all winners. I got Optimus Prime, Megatron, and Grimlock for the Transformers blind box lot. I got Snake Eyes, Duke, and Destro for the G.I.Joe blind box lot. 

The Loyal Subjects G.I.JOE Wave 1 (minus Storm Shadow)
The following day I headed over to pick up the Dead Prime figure in between business appointments and I picked up another 2 blind box figure. If you can't tell I'm hooked by now. I got a duplicate Optimus Prime and Snake Eyes.

After coming back from SDCC, I did a little research on the rare figures, and also was lucky enough to stumble upon both rare figures from the Transformers Wave 1 series for cheap. I picked both of them up for $5 over their retail price. Score!  Welcome Illest Jazz and Cybertron Bumble Bee.

The compulsion continues. Since my first Soundwave, I have picked up both 8-inch Primes (Bullet Prime and Dead Prime) and I own 15 of the 3-inch figures now. After my initial skepticism, I've become a big fan of this series. Yes, they are expensive for what they are but the artistic aesthetic they exude and the limited nature of their production runs really resonate with me as a collector. I'm hoping to see wave 2 soon. Gah, plastic crack. Crack, crack, crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment